Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Event 1

The first event that I attended was a lecture by artist Toni Dove. Going into this event I had no idea what to expect and what I observed was very difficult to explain but very enjoyable and engaging. Toni uses interface strategies to physically interact with her art. During the presentation it seemed that her focus was on films that she had created. These interactive films included "Artificial Changelings" and "Spectropia". In all of these films Toni can be seen on the side of the screen controlling what the audience sees with her movements using her interactive interface. The view of the screen and the way in which the characters move depend on her movements. She showed us a work in progress that was about a detective that was investigating a crime, with the use of technology she was able to create a complete virtual world that someone could explore through this reactive interface. Much of this specific presentation reminded me of a modern video game but she told us that she had begun this project before the internet had even been started. 
We are best friends
Toni manipulating the screen
In "Spectropia" not only was she able to manipulate what was on the screen but also the way the stage moved. Spectropia which involved a ghost, had a prop technology on stage that really looked like a ghost and was able to move in ways that made it even more ominous and I won't like it scared me pretty good. All of these presentation were like nothing I had ever seen before and I believe that Toni is the perfect example of someone using science to be able to communicate her art with us. Mostly through the use of Robots and computers. I enjoyed this presentation a lot and I would recommend going to see her if she comes again. The video is a clip from "Spectropia".

No comments:

Post a Comment